Thursday, August 26, 2010

2010 challenge

Here's the latest  entry for the online challenge. The theme is "Reflection" and I spent several evenings watching the sun go down on the Mississippi River to capture the right moment for this quilt. I took lots of photos and printed some onto fabric. Then I pieced the background and did a bit of machine applique for the face. After quilting I applied adhesive with a popsicle stick and fused on gold foiling. Hand stitching reminds me of the starlings that fly over the water eating the dreaded mosquitoes. Hurray for starlings!
  I am enjoying the challenge and really like the themes and am making every attempt to stretch myself as an artist.  Only time will tell that I have succeeded. Click on the badge for other submissions to the challenge.

3 comments:

Thomasin Durgin said...

beautiful!

Gina said...

What a fabulous effect you've created with the gold foil and I really like the flow of your quilting lines. Beautiful quilt!

Trish said...

Love love love this!!! The reflection in the sunglasses...the tear on the cheek...
Plus the sun and its reflection!
And the 'birds'...yes!
And the heart balloons...
And there is shiny-ness!!!
Yep, I love it!