Sunday, November 19, 2017

THE dress part 4

 These are various photos of construction of the dress once I arrived in California and settled into my niece, Cheryl's, sewing room. It was a very nice work space, with good lighting from the window facing the street and the radio tunes to KLOS, a rock station. The one particular program I found interesting was Jonesy's Juke Box. He played a very mix of old and new rock'n'roll, which helped the day go by pleasantly. I started sewing on Sunday morning and finished around 4-5 o'clock on Monday afternoon. You can see in the photos some of the details of  the inner construction, such as the bra cups and sewn facings to hold down the back of the dress's button loops. There were 21 loops and buttons and they were so difficult to button up as you might think.
I bought the covered buttons already finished. They had cloth shanks, as I think that is a finer look and more comfortable for the wearer. The photo with the machine shows the attaching of the horsehair braid to the hem; another photo is of the finished application of the horsehair braid. There is also an inner band of elastic at the waist to help support the weight of the skirt for comfort and ease of movement by the wearer. It might be visible in top photo....or not. This was a wonderful experience for me and I am so happy that I was able to be a part of Jamie's special day.

 inside center back

 button loops

 finished hem

No comments: