Monday, October 19, 2009

More pumpkins



These are the pumpkins I bought a few weeks ago. They are very nice in my crazy yard. They look especially nice with my concrete chickens.
I went to Covington again Sunday, this time for gourds. My brother, sisiter in law and I drove to Ripley for lunch at Emily's Restaraunt (did I spell that right?) and that was a real experience with the locals. Then north to the farmer's house off old highway 51. He's been selling those pumpkins, by god, and had only a few left. It was very middle America, too. A sign offering the remaining goods for $1 a pop and the "honor box" to place the funds in.
That kind generous man drove up while we were there lusting over those orange vegetables. We remarked about the lack of gourds, so he in turn remarked about the dismal season for growing such things--cool rainy summer, nearly unheard of in these parts--then proceeded to take his tractor to the field to see what was available.
My brother and I indulged ourselves in some walnut bowling, after we realized there were two large trees whose fruit had fallen to earth, while waiting for the farmer to return. Which he did with six very nice fresh gourds. He offered them to us for $1 a piece (a bargain for sure!) and admonished us more than once of their fragility as we cradled them and gently placed them in the back floorboard of my truck. I have 3 very nice gourds. Hurray!

1 comment:

Trish said...

Your pumpkins and gourds are lovely indeed! ...As are the concrete chickens!

And is that a Praying Mantis I see hovering above the hosta?

A lovely still life! :)