Saturday, October 21, 2017

Front yard redo


For the last several months, I've been wanting to make my front yard-the sunnier side anyway- more restrained. Today was the day to begin. The shady side is lovely, with ferns, azaleas and hydrangeas growing gloriously.
   Monkey grass has ruled the other side like a thug!! So this morning, war was declared!! I got my weapons and had at it. There were a few stalwart plants that had been hanging on under the weeds. I was very surprised. Now they will have a better chance to get some sun and nutrients. The leaf mold was actually good and the dirt was loose.
   I got about a third of the monkey grass cleared out and will have to wait till I get back from my trip west to finish. Hopefully, there won't be a big freeze while I'm gone and I can get some of the perennials I've been cultivating into the ground so next spring will have a jump start for a much better looking yard.
   I don't want to dig too deep, because there are a lot of jonquils lurking beneath the surface and I need to know where they are.
   This yard has been in progress for 20 years or so. Maybe I'll be progressing with it for another 20 years. 

No comments: