Friday, June 10, 2011

Nightie night

Yesterday was Memphis Sewing Guild day. This is always a good day because I get to meet up with friends who are as excited about sewing as I am and we go to lunch afterwards. What is not to like about lunch with friends!!
  The program was "Jammies in June".  several months ago I bought some very nice knit fabric and a little while later acquired a lovely soft dotted Swiss with the intention of making a couple of night gowns to MY preference. I do not like a gown that is too short or too long. If it's too short then it creeps up around the waist and if it's too long it tangles up on your legs. Both scenarios make for an uncomfortable night's sleep.
  In the next to last issue of  Threads magazine special publication "Simple Stuff to Sew" (or something to that effect--more info send me a message) there was an article on making a gown and accompanying robe. The gown was simple (duh) so I drew off the pattern according to the instructions, which had an error on one of the measurements--but I solved that problem and continued with the gown construction.
I spent three or four hours ( the day before the guild meeting, mind you) and completed two totally perfect night gowns--one of which I am wearing as I blog--that were a big hit at the meeting too.
  Of course, Patricia had to show me up with a super sexy style she co-opted from a swim suit top she found on sale. OHHH, that girl!!!!
I'm wearing the knit version(no phone calls please) and the gown made of dotted Swiss looks like something a bride would wear on her wedding night (gag). Both versions are light as a feather-perfect for hot Memphis summer nights and make me VERY happy. The most important part!!!!
  Maybe I will take photos once I finish the wedding dress currently under construction. Photos coming soon, I promise.

4 comments:

Trish said...

Your nighties were both very cute and, more importantly, FINISHED!!! You (graciously) failed to note that mine was a semi-disaster and I had thrown up my hands and walked away at the last hour! Thanks for your suggestions on rescuing it.

Trish said...

BTW, after re-reading twice, I still don't get why this post is called NEW SHOES...

Marilyn League said...

I must have been drunk when I wrote this post. It was supposed to be about my new walking shoes duh....

explorer said...

I can't wait to see the wedding dress under construction!! And I hope it makes you happy, too, since that truly is the most important thing!! :)